Monday, October 4, 2010

My life in Super 8mm films by my dad...

La Famiglia Bevacqua, 1979ish.

Growing up as a young child in Prince George, B.C. my family spent many Sunday afternoons at my mother's folks' place on Winnipeg Street. Nonno Felice and Nonna Chiarinna were from a small village in Calabria, Italy, called Mangone. They joked it was called Man-gone because so many of the men left after the Second World War to work in America. My nonno left in the late 60s to work on the railway in Northern B.C., bringing his family of seven over years later with the help of a generous couple he'd been boarding with. They saved his rent for two years to help him. In this video my dad has his Super 8mm out again. Zio Carmelo, auntie Brenda and cousins Tina and Mark are over visiting - likely for an afternoon filled with gnocchi, wine, gardening and singing. My mom, Rita, is the beauty with the long black hair.

XO S

No comments: